Thursday, January 8, 2009

The date ...

OK, I had to break up the text on that one by doing two entries. So, where did I leave off ...

The first date: He picked me up that evening in his car (I thought this was a real treat, considering I was told most guys in London didn't drive). Having a car in the States would've never been criterion for a guy I was going out with. It would've been a must, especially because public transportation isn't that accessible where I lived in the D.C. Metropolitan area. So, I get in the car (he didn't open the door) and he looked very nice. He was pretty clean-cut, dressed in slacks, a button down shirt, and a gray V-neck button down sweater (sorta like Bill Cosby, but it was cute) and he was playing Ne-Yo -- my favorite male R&B artist, right now. Everything was OK. But that little thing about not opening the door, kept gnawing at me. So, I had to ask ... "Do British guys not open doors for girls?" He was completely caught off guard and responded with, "I never noticed it before. No girl has actually mentioned it to me." Now, I was the one in shock.

We arrive at the movie theater: He immediately gets out the car and opens my door. I'm impressed yet again. Maybe that's the problem --- impressed too easily? LOL! So, he buys the tickets, the popcorn (the sweet and salty mix I like), a jumbo soda (just for me --- thank God, he didn't suggest sharing, I was in a nervous panic about it) and some nachos for himself. He offered to buy more, but I declined --- especially considering I told him I just ate. No need for him to know, it was just a can of soup? LOL! He led me by my back into the theater and seems to be pretty considerate the whole time. Again, it was not what I was expecting after my first date. If it were up to my friend in the States --- she would've had me carry mace. LOL!

During the movie: Anyhow, we had some chit-chat in the movies --- I know, I know, don't you hate those first date people? I agree the next time I have a first date, choose another location. Movies are NOT the place to get to know one another. So, after I nearly drown my hand in the bucket of popcorn, b/c I'm starving at this point, I get a bit embarrassed. So, where did I leave off .... So, I let the popcorn go and just continued to watch "The Day the Earth Stood Still" on his chest with his arm around me. I have to admit it felt nice. It felt like Sam and I had quite the connection.

After the movie: He opened all doors and etc. etc. He drives back to my on-campus flat (aka, a dorm) and we continue to chat in his car for at least an hour and 30 minutes. We seemed to have covered everything --- family, religion, school and future plans. Trust me, I KNOW these things are a bit heavy for the first date, but I let him lead the conversation. And I just figured it was another thing about British guys that I understood --- that they take dates A LOT more seriously than Americans. So, I went with the flow. It was soon after midnight and I had to be up early and he had to be at work (he does sorta brokerage work for a loan company). So, he got out to open my door and walk me to the front door of my building. High hopes ...


No comments:

Post a Comment